[lbo-talk] lefty on futbol

Gail Brock gbrock_dca at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 3 13:47:49 PDT 2010

Dwayne Monroe (Sat, July 3, 2010 3:33:28 PM):

I note that nearly everyone I know who cut their arts teeth in the 1940s, 50s or 60s is unaware of, or unable to see, the different forms of expression and DIY efforts that are happening around them, neoliberal capitalism notwithstanding.

GB: Or, as my parents said decades ago, "You call that music?"

I don't know that people's natural drive to do something creative changes much over the years, but there seems to be much more diversity and creativity now. After you left school, in music, for example, if you wanted to sing, your opportunity was pretty much limited to the church choir. You didn't even consider starting a group or interpreting songs rather than trying to sing them the "right" way, and that's not uncommon now.