[lbo-talk] lefty on futbol

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Jul 4 07:20:37 PDT 2010

At 10:05 AM 7/4/2010, shag carpet bomb wrote:
>a fun passage from Janet Halley on moralizng grand theories found in
>cultural feminism:
>
>"And the moralism of cultural feminism makes it just as radical as
>MacKinnon's (power) theory, though in a very different way. MacKinnon
>would like to get them by the balls because she doesn't believe their
>minds and hearts *can* follow; whereas cultural feminism has detailed
>plans for their hearts and minds. It is a fighting faith seeking the moral
>conversion of a little less than half the human race.

hee. speaking of shaming and moral conversion and detailed plans for their hearts and minds, nevada bob is all about shaming and converting henwood who doesn't talk about the real, serious issues and only cares abotu frivilous shit!

http://www.zcommunications.org/serious-discourse-or-gossip-by-peter-ward

"I commented previously on an earlier totally irrelevant Henwood post about an embarrassing comment made by a British TV show host and political aspirant, where, at the bottom of the article in question, was a link to a surprisingly (for the BBC) sympathetic story on the Bolivian election apparently not worth even mentioning in Doug's mind. If it seems I single DH out it's for two reasons. He provides a typical example. And he has an established minor celebrity status, at least in Manhattan lefty scene. The characteristic he represents is a hedged position far enough left to be taken seriously at least to the pink side of orthodox Marxism but calculated to avoid saying anything seriously offensive to those in the mainstream. I don't think I am being pedantic bringing this up.

Because Henwood and kindred souls are smart enough to figure out what's really going on and because they can't claim ignorance of gross injustice (I've often brought examples to DH's attention and he has replied, usually by expressing gratitude it's not he who suffers) I actually believe they are in some ways worse than those that support the status quo without hypocrisy. But because they are in basically the same class as the rest of us they are our natural allies and are worth shaming until they change their habits--i.e., getting them to stop gossiping and start taking human welfare seriously."

http://www.zcommunications.org/serious-discourse-or-gossip-by-peter-ward