[lbo-talk] meat

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Jul 8 04:27:29 PDT 2010

In his chapter on the need to reduce meat consumption, McWilliams (in _Just Food_) says that New Zealanders eat 312 lbs of meat a year, Cyprusians (?) eat 288 lbs, USers eat 273, the Irish eat 233 lbs, the Swedish 167 lbs. Europeans, on average, eat 198 lbs.

? How is it possible to eat that much meat? Yesterday, I had to go to a luncheon, so I had 3 oz of turkey on a sandwich, chips. At dinner, 6 oz of chicken and peppers, onions, zucchini with parmesan cheese. That's a pretty typical day, though I normally eat either a spinach salad or chef's salad (meatless) with some kind of cheese and a couple of eggs for lunch. But 6 oz of protein at dinner, and maybe 3 or 4 oz at lunch seems to be what the typical person eats.

So how the hell is it that we, in the US, ostensibly eat nearly a lb of meat a day? Most people eat a grain-based breakfast. Even if they eat some kind of meat sandwich for breakfast (e.g., mcmuffin), that's still only adding about 2-4 oz of bacon or sausage to the day. Assuming a 10 oz steak at dinner, and 6 oz of lunch meat or something ... WTF?

Anyone know how this is calculated? McWilliams mentions earlier that USers waste 1.28 lbs of food every day. Are they just talking global production and purchase, and not accounting for what gets shot out?

shag

- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws ('coz there's 5 million ways to kill a CEO)