[lbo-talk] Domestic Terror Plots as a $B game of Let's Put On a Show

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Jul 8 07:22:55 PDT 2010

[We all knew the Newburgh 4 thing stunk. But it seems it actually stunk beyond what I at least imagined. As did almost all the other famous plots, which this article goes into. (I cut them out here for space resons. Also Tom Englehardt's intro is excellent about why we can be definitive after 1.5 years that Obama will never change anything about the GWOT except for the name.]

http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/175270/tomgram%3A_stephan_salisbury%2C_plotting_terrorism__/

Tomgram

July 6, 2010.

Stage-Managing the War on Terror: Ensnaring Terrorists

Demands Creativity

By Stephan Salisbury

<snip>

The "Un-Terrorism Case"

In the years following 9/11, when I was reporting my book,

Mohamed's Ghosts: An American Story of Love and Fear in the

Homeland, many defense and immigration attorneys I interviewed

insisted that the mere mention of "terrorism" has often been

enough to knock down any and all defenses. In the Newburgh

conspiracy, however, the federal judge, Colleen McMahon, has

shown a more questioning attitude toward what, in a May 28, 2010,

pre-trial hearing, she took to calling the "un-terrorism case."

After their May 2009 arrests, the four Newburgh conspirators were

portrayed as Jew-hating Muslim converts who intended to blow up

synagogues in the Bronx and shoot down military planes based at

Stewart Airport in Newburgh. "It's hard to envision a more

chilling plot," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Eric Snyder at the

time, describing the defendants as "extremely violent."

The men were indeed arrested only after placing bogus bombs

(courtesy of the FBI) near two Bronx synagogues. New York Police

Chief Raymond Kelly said the plotters believed "it would be

alright" to kill Jews. The Simon Wiesenthal Center issued a

statement noting that the uncovered plot cooked up by "the

jihadist terrorists" showed "that the dangers from such

fanaticism have not passed and that American Jews must maintain

their vigilance." New York's Mayor Michael Bloomberg reiterated

that vigilance remains a necessity for all concerned.

With their anti-Semitic bona fides established and the men caught

in the act, all that seemed left was a perfunctory trial,

followed by life in prison for James Cromitie, David Williams,

Onta Williams, and Laguerre Payen. A decade earlier, Cromitie had

been arrested for dealing drugs behind a school. Payen, a Haitian

immigrant, is a crack addict and certified paranoid

schizophrenic, often found living on the street; his earlier

deportation had been on hold due to his mental instability. Onta

and David Williams, not related, had pasts pocked by drug busts

and spotty work at minimum wage jobs scrounged from Newburgh's

depressed economy. All four men were black.

Almost immediately, however, questions about the conspiracy began

to arise. For one thing, the FBI informer who broke the case was

a Pakistani named Shaheed Hussain, who arrived in Newburgh in the

summer of 2008 driving a flashy Mercedes, showing lots of money,

and promising jobs to down-and-out African American hangers-on at

Masjid al-Ikhlas, Newburgh's main mosque. Convicted in a

fraudulent driver's license scheme in 2002, he agreed to work

undercover for the FBI shortly afterward to avoid deportation and

turned out to have been an informer in a previous terrorism case

in Albany in 2004.

The Albany case, in which an imam and a pizza shop owner were

convicted of money laundering as part of a phantasmagorical

scheme to kill a Pakistani diplomat with a missile, was bitterly

contested by defense attorneys. They claimed that the elaborate

plan had been concocted by Hussain himself. The jury didn't buy

it, convicting both imam and pizza shop owner.

The Newburgh case shares much with the Albany case, especially a

fondness for baroque plotting, the flashing of great wads of

money in front of needy people, and the aggressive use of an

informant by the FBI in a house of worship, in this case Masjid

al-Ikhlas. The intricate plotting and the use of an informer made

it into the criminal complaint, but all that flashing money

didn't. There was no mention of the enticing job offers made by

the seemingly well-to-do informer. Nothing about his offer of a

$250,000 payment for carrying out the plot. Nothing about the BMW

he pushed on Cromitie, who didn't even have a driver's license.

Nothing about the $25,000 he was ready to pay anyone willing to

act as a "lookout."

Maybe Cromitie wasn't the brightest hustler in town, but he was

quite capable of grasping the significance of such sums of money

in distressed Newburgh. He assured Hussain that dangling cash

would lure participants, no matter what. "They will do it for the

money," he said. "They're not even thinking about the cause."

Nor did the complaint mention, as the defense now maintains, that

even the anti-Semitic talk was triggered by the informant. He

baited the defendants, telling them that Jews were responsible

for the U.S. wars in the Middle East and for other acts of

violence against Muslims. Cromitie had an unexpected reaction

during one of these conversations, according to government

transcripts. "I'm not gonna hurt anybody," he said, after being

badgered about possible attacks. "The plane thing... is out of

the question."

On the streets of Newburgh, relatives and neighbors say that they

have never heard the four men even mention Jews or jihad, let

alone link the two together in murderous rants. Lord McWilliams,

the severely ill brother of David Williams, called such a

characterization "crazy." Hussain, he insisted, had promised his

brother so much money that he would have been able to pay for the

liver transplant that Lord desperately needed.

In fact, more substantial members of the mosque had pegged

Shaheed Hussain as an informer almost the moment he arrived, but

had no idea what to do about him. "Maybe the mistake we made was

that we didn't report him," Salahuddin Mustafa Muhammad, imam at

Masjid al-Ikhlas, told congregants shortly after the May 2009

arrests. "But how are we going to report the government agent to

the government?"

<end excerpt>

I recommend the whole post and the intro at: http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/175270/tomgram%3A_stephan_salisbury%2C_plotting_terrorism__/

Michael