[lbo-talk] meat

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 09:23:57 PDT 2010

[WS:] According to USDA stats, average USer eats about half a pound of meat a day. That is two hamburgers. Even if we assume the 273 lb figure that is 0.75 lb per day or three hamburgers.

I am a semi-vegetarian, but I eat fish and seafood on average about 1.5-2lbs per week or about quarter pound a day. So the half or 0.75 lb figure for the average carnivore does not strike as implausible. If anything, I think it is rather low.

Also the average hides the class factor in meat consumption - lower socio-economic classes are more carnivorous than higher socio-economic classes (for health reasons) - which is a total reversal of the situations from, say, hundred years ago.

Wojtek