[lbo-talk] why Prince is right

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Thu Jul 8 11:20:54 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 11:30:52AM -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
> [great rant, on some not-unfamiliar topics]
>
> <http://blancomusic.wordpress.com/2010/07/07/why-prince-is-right/>

> Spotify or Mog.com? For YOUR convenience? So that you can enjoy his
> work and display your musical credibility to your dinnerparty guests
> without the painful business of compensating the artist in question?
> Oh how RUDE of dear little Prince to deny you the opportunity. He’s
> an artist. Artists reserve the right, in fact, would not be worthy of
> the name if they didn’t do so, to piss from a height on the
> money-grubbing mores of the chattering classes.

Yikes. He still seems to be clinging to the pop "artist" sense-of-entitlement: that if they make a single popular recording, they deserve a lifetime of munching caviar and swilling 2000 Margaux.

This line is particularly ridiculous:

"Genius, forced to figure out ways to tour without having to incur excess baggage costs."

A precious genius, slumming it by actually *performing*? That would put the pop-genius down at the level of, you know, every professional orchestral musician or vocalist. We certainly can't have that, because then they may start to supplement performance income with... *shudder*....teaching!

And this line:

"Virtuosos, giving up music because they refuse to take the option of product placement or naked dancers in their videos."

Yeah, without that MTV video of herself drinking Coke and dancing with strippers, Cynthia Phelps certainly would never have become Principle Violist at the Philharmonic.

I had no idea there was a decline of music, let alone a decline that is the innernets fault.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim/google/MSN/yahoo: beyondzero123

I still say a church steeple with a lightening rod on top shows a lack of confidence.

-Doug McLeod