[lbo-talk] there should be no such thing as free lemonade

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 02:14:42 PDT 2010

This guy Terry Savage really needs to soak his head. And he's a lousy writer.

But never having read Marx Mr. Savage misses something. The raw materials of this operation may have been provided by the parents of the three girls but the girls still had to do the work of getting the lemonade to the side of the road and setting up the table, etc. This work was a service given freely. And the nanny is probably also getting a good break by having the girls occupied on this scheme to relieve the thirst of the thirsty. Thus there are transfers of social benefits that have nothing to do with the "de-commodification" of the lemonade that so upsets the "writer" of the column.

Further, Mr. Savage probably doesn't realize how deeply anti-capitalist real-existing capitalism is in the U.S. The rich always hate "free markets" if it infringes on their "rights," "pleasures" and profits a little too much. So most of the "upscale neighborhoods" I know of have their own little regulations against actually selling things on the side of the road.

Finally, I hope that Mr. Savage is consistent enough to be anti-religion since many religions believe in "service" of others in the spirit of charity.