[lbo-talk] Inducing the Madness of Crowds

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Jul 9 05:56:11 PDT 2010

http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com/2010/07/09/inducing-the-madness-of-c rowds/

The Polish Marxist economist Michal Kalecki in his 1943 article, "Political Aspects of Full Employment," (http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2010/kalecki220510.html) long ago made the point that rentiers and capitalists would tend to be resistant to the use of Keynesian-style fiscal and monetary stimulus policies to reduce unemployment. In the case of the rentiers, such opposition would stem from the fact that the resulting dropping of interest rates from such policies would directly reduce their incomes. In the case of capitalists, the reasons were a bit more complex. Very often such policies, in Kalecki's view, would boost business profits, but they would also also make the working class more truculent, since they would now become less fearful of becoming unemployed. Kalecki believed that generally speaking capitalists were more fearful of the loss of political power and social status to the working class than they were of the loss of profits. Given the fact that since the 1970s, we have seen a radical reassertion of the power of rentiers, and given the loss of power of trade unions and industrial capital, the fact that most governments in the industrial nations have been responding to the current economic crisis with austerity policies should come as no surprise.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant