[lbo-talk] why Prince is right

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 07:52:34 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Mike Beggs <mikejbeggs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Two, the internet's not going away no matter how bitter you are about
> it. Neither is piracy. Blaming the pirate is ineffectual moralism.
> Capitalism generally allocates resources to the producers of
> commodities, and this is a failure of commodification. I think it's
> great you can get any music you like for free. I think it's terrible
> (more) artists can't make a living off their work. Any solution to the
> latter, though, has to take for granted that the former is here to
> stay. Personally I favour a public solution.

Yes. Well, except for the public solution part, which just sounds so European. And what has Europe produced in the last 50 years that's worth a crap?

</tongue partially in cheek>

In addition to the accepting the reality of the Internet, it'd be nice if people didn't demand payment by appealing to property and ownership rights. Prince's move just transforms him from a worker into an enterprise. Not really an improvement, imho.

I wonder how a subscription service would work for musicians?