[lbo-talk] Niall Ferguson and Collapse of Empire

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jul 10 08:48:34 PDT 2010

a) Probably the debt level can go much higher without destructive effects b) China has no place else to place its money, as well as having no industry if you were to subtract that devoted to exports to the U.S. and Europe c) If it isn't a U.S. Empire but an Empire of Capital then the weakness of the United States is an important but not a catatrophic fact.

For anti-capitalists these endless reports on bad economic conditions and/or the "collapse" of the U.S. are a distraction from our main concern of building the groundwork to be in place when the next political upsurge occurs. Economic doom-saying by Marxists (see the endless stream of such reports on the Marxist & Pen-L lists make sense if and only if economic coolapse by itself and withou political input from leftists will dissolve capitalism for us. The Marxist list in particular is made up of those who want to get to heaven on a rocking-horse.

Immeediate political and/or social and/or economic conditions provide no guide to political practice for the anti-capitalist. Such a guide can only emerge from the theoretical work that most anti-capitalists on these lists seem uninterested in.

Barbarism is here, not merely a future here. We have to give more heavy thought to how we can reverse it.

Carrol