[lbo-talk] why Prince is right

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jul 10 13:26:00 PDT 2010

Perhaps popular music will simply disappear and not be produced any longer. The world changes. I don't like change, but most of the posters to this list do like it, so why shouldn't we just say, it was nice while it lasted and forget about it. If you can sing and play, sing and play for your neighbors and take up a collection. If some commercial interest reallly needs popular music, let them figure out how to get it and pay for it. Shag's "Fuck you, pay me," is neither an economic nor a political statement; it is a moralistic self-expression.

Rock music has had nearly a 60 year run. That's not bad. Will the world come to an end if no more rock music gets produced?

I think the problem you are wrestling with is that of superfluity, of too much of everything. That has been gathering momentum for about 3 or 4 centuries. There have been various futile efforts to 'stop' it: the Battle of the Ancients and Moderns; Wordsworth's Preface to Lyrical Ballads; Matthew Arnold's attempt to mark off the best that has been thought and felt, coming up to a contemporary poet of my acquaintance saying that the only modernists who he thought were much good were Mina Loy & Elizabeth Bishop. No Yeats. No Frost. No Pound. No Stevens to read.

Capitalism is unique among social systems in creating endless & more or less uncontrollable change (and in making the majority of people thin that is a good thing). Newspapers, popular music, best sellers, thick ad-rich magazines had a nice run of nearly a couple cneturies. I imagine business enterprises will go on figuring out ways to make profits under the new conditions and people will learn to live under them. So it goes.

Carrol