[lbo-talk] why Prince is right

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 15:00:25 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2010, at 5:30 PM, shag carpet bomb wrote:
>
>> but you know damn well, and said so yourself, that this is not what doug is advocating (copyright laws). what he's talking about is an unfortunate state of affairs that is *normalizing* the notion that music, art, words, software, whatever magically appear before you for your enjoyment, without any sense of how it got their. it's a process that systematically evaporates the human social relationships involved in creation.

Yeah but I said Doug was not saying that. Doug thought Prince was worth responding to. I responded to Prince and did mean something like that.

>> i can't speak for him but I know what I've always said about this issue: fuck you, pay me. (was originally the title of The Coup's last album. they changed it for some reason). not because i feel some sense of ownership, but because I see what is happening as way in which we are increasingly imprinting the idea that our labor, the work we do to create things for others, is so unimportant that we created world, not where our labor is cherished and honored, but where it is systematically denigrated.
>
> When you speak like this, you can speak for me anytime!
>
> Doug

But the current system does not produce this. It never fucking produced that. So we need to do something different. And that something different is going to be along the lines of some public sy system. For that matter conventional copyright is about major league public intervention. If you want to fucking get paid you need a change in the system. That is not a "wait for the revolution". It is if you want things to get better, than that means some fucking change. And I could make suggestions. But right now I feel like any suggestion that we need to make institutional and legal changes will be dismissed contemptuously as "wait for the revolution". Your distorting what I already said does not encourage me to think that making such suggestion at this moment in this environment is worth the effort. I'm not WoJo and don't appreciate having my views fucking confused with his.. Public, btw does not have to mean the PBS or grant model But bascially you have two choices short of revolution. You can have radical change and maybe make some big improvements in the odds of intellectual workers getting paid. Or you can take the whole fucking existing system for granted and try to work around, and nibble around the edges. Do you really think writers and musicians and so forth can drastically improve their chances of getting paid without radical changes. Workers in the depression did not have to have a revolution to improve their lives. But they had to take radical action and force radical change. If you think that doesn't apply to intellectual work then you need to explain why. If you agree that getting intellectual workers paid will mean radical change then maybe you need to be willing to have conversation about actual proposals; any proposal that has a chance of working involves changing coypright in some way.