[lbo-talk] Prince was right

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jul 10 17:00:33 PDT 2010

Carrol: 'The inherent tendency is for prices to steadily go up and wages constantly go down. ' No, I think the inherent tendency is for prices including wages to go down - though with interruptions - according to Marx's schema of the declining value of labour power.

the paradox is that as more things come within our purview, our wants get richer, so the music that once you would have had to scour record shops for, suddenly becomes available within not much more time than it takes for you to remember listening to it twenty years ago. And then you can buy it off iTunes, or some other weird mechanism. Your wants enlarge more quickly than the cost of them decreases, and your paycheck is under pressure.

Prince is obviously right on the broader fashion point, anyway - the internet must be over, because it is ubiquitous. It is a fantastic challenge to all those Wired people, like Kevin Kelly. If they were ever right that change alone is unchanging, (c. Heraclitus) then surely it applies to the boring technology that we have been carrying for the last twenty years.