[lbo-talk] "Is Dominique Strauss-Kahn on the Left?"

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Sun Jul 11 08:11:17 PDT 2010

Patrick! Exactly! Thanks.

-Chip

________________________________

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Patrick Bond Sent: Sun 7/11/2010 10:46 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] "Is Dominique Strauss-Kahn on the Left?"

SA wrote:
> ... He and Robert Zoellick may be the twin guardians of global
> "neoliberalism" but they are miles and miles apart politically.

Isn't it true, though, that if you put neocon characters like Wolfowitz and Zoellick (my little bio of the latter is here: www.counterpunch.org/bond03192010.html ) into neolib institutions, they manage a neocon-neolib fusion without much strain. That fusion is so strong that the anticipated fracturing, e.g. between Euro and US ruling blocs from 2001 onwards, simply didn't happen.

And the anticipated turn of the IMF to globo-Keynesianism under Strauss-Kahn (which I fear even fooled someone as sharp as Mark Weisbrot) has been reversed just as soon as the financial markets required austerity, once the panic had subsided. Aren't Strauss-Kahn and Zoellick working in perfect harmony at the moment? I'm not close enough, sitting in South Africa, but I certainly don't see any gap of miles and miles.

So we should look at the balance of forces that affect institutions, not the personalities, surely?