[lbo-talk] "Is Dominique Strauss-Kahn on the Left?"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jul 11 09:08:08 PDT 2010

On Jul 11, 2010, at 11:59 AM, SA wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> It was the "inscribe ... within the horizon" phrasing. It's like hearing someone talk Cultural Studies on a TV talk show.
>>

> No! It's exactly the opposite!!! I've complained about this exact thing before on this list. In French, "inscribe...within the horizon," is just ordinarily good, educated speech.

Oh yeah, we don't do "good, educated speech" on TV talk shows here, either! I loved that little controversy the other week over whether Obama's oil spill speech was over the heads of the audience, since it was written at a 10th grade level. Good presidential speech, apparently, is supposed to be at the 7th grade level.

Doug