[lbo-talk] Cheating in China...

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Mon Jul 12 09:37:04 PDT 2010

A bright young Taiwanese teaches in our department. Last semester, he had about 10 students from China in one of his classes. They all cheated. He asked me another teacher to form a panel to interview the students, which was a very interesting experience. After our interviews, he mentioned that cheating is an integral part of Chinese culture and that the students expected him to be sympathetic of their behavior. Blanche is reading Factory Girls, a book about young Chinese women working in sweatshops. The author, a former Wall Street Journal reporter, at one point she was interviewing some Chinese author, who asked why she was bothering to write her book when she could more easily just lift material from other sources.