[lbo-talk] why Prince is right

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 12 17:50:57 PDT 2010

On Jul 12, 2010, at 8:35 PM, Mike Beggs wrote:

> Re: Doug’s tale of the electric rake. Chadbourne is OG, having been
> doing free improv since the early 70s (and he also does other stuff).
> But I do think the pure form of the genre at least has become pretty
> tired; when you take out structures of harmony and rhythm all you have
> left is timbre, which I guess is why build-your-own-instrument has
> become so important.

I saw him once at the Mudd Club, of all places. When he played the rake, he had a look on his face like a little boy trying to annoy his parents. I think that impulse may be behind the urge to leave harmony, rhythm, and melody (don't forget that one! and, the Beethoven fan in me has to add development) behind and just make noise.