[lbo-talk] Zizek: Berlusconi is our future

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 05:54:16 PDT 2010

[WS:] He does not seem to be saying much in this 5 minute clip. There are very thoughtful critiques of democracy - or perhaps mob rule - from Aristotle to de Tocqueville, to Lenin, and to Mencken, which focus on specific mechanisms that make this system of government dysfunctional.

However, none of it surfaces in Zizek's video clip. I am disappointed, even though I fully agree with his conclusions - that populist celebrity figures a la Berlusconi is the way of the future.

Or putting it in a slightly different way - latter days politics bifurcated into two different spheres: the epiphenomenal sphere in which it took the form of professional wrestling, a quintessentially fake drama offering cheap thrills to the rabble, and the substantive sphere, largely hidden from the public view, in which it took the form of patronage or selling indulgences to those in the position to pay for them.

Wojtek