[lbo-talk] FT/Harris: Economic stupidity epidemic throughoutpopulace

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jul 13 06:33:06 PDT 2010

Under developed capitalism there is no direct link between the visible and the real, between act and motive, between cause and effect. But "ordinary" knowledge is grounded in genralizing precisely from a perceived link between a cause and effect, between an act and the motive of that act. And so we arive at KM's observation that there would be no need for science if appearance and reality coincided. But capitalist society will never, except under odd conditions, generate the kind of educational system which seriously explores this gap. Schools in the '50s and 60s _did_, for a sizeable number (though low percentage) of the _general_ population provide this. TROUBLE. Perceiving the gap, they wanted it closed.

But note that around a third of the population in these surveys was _not_ ignorant. Probably over half of them were still pretty conservative. But that leaves a potential constituency for mass movements of around 15%: that is actually a HUGE number. I think a rather smaller per centage turned the world upside down in the '60s.

This contains the heart of my arguments against the Idea of Progress, against hope in electoral politics, agains small changes adding up to big changes, and against grounding politics in mral judgments.

Carrol