[lbo-talk] FT/Harris: Economic stupidity epidemic throughout populace

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 06:37:30 PDT 2010

Joanna: "People do not most understand macro concepts or much about history or anything bigger than the individual."

[WS:] Very true. I had a number of conversations with otherwise knowledgeable people - professionals and academics - whose understanding of social or economic relations was fundamentally reduced to primitive pop-psychology of individuals. What is more, when I tried to explain the systemic aspect, they often became agitated and hostile.

This is highly reminiscent of Garfinkel's "breaching experiments" aimed to question people's everyday routines. A belief in the "personal merit" in social and economic behavior is not just a result of indoctrination - it is the central myth of the middle and upper classes - it validates their privileged position in the society. Questioning the role of personal merits, even in an abstract discussion, is an attack on the middle class concept of the self, hence the hostile reaction.

By contrast, people of lower socio-economic status tend to be more amenable to systemic explanations, even if these explanations have fatalistic or conspiratorial flavor, because that is reflective of their class position

and their place in society. They experience "systemic forces" that intervene in their lives almost every day. Interestingly, they become equally agitated if one tries to explain social or economic behavior in terms of personal merits.

I sum, the personal or systemic explanations of social and economic phenomena are cognitive master frames rooted in class-based consciousness.

They are pre-rational, that is, not subjected to rational evaluation and discussion, but they organize and direct one's rational discourse.

Wojtek

Wojtek