[lbo-talk] why Prince is right

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 14:17:44 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Julio Huato <juliohuato at gmail.com> wrote:

> In that discussion, the assumption is that working people play along
> -- that they are fragmented and plaint.  However, in actual capitalist
> societies, workers resist and fight in different ways, at different
> levels of intensity, organization, etc., and the outcomes of those
> struggles differ.  So, in actual capitalist societies, what is
> "productive" is not just what capital deems productive.  What is
> "productive" is subject to dispute.

Not to speak for Angelus, because I don't know his exact views on this, but for some of the people that he at least has sympathies for -- thinking of Principia Dialectica and some other Postone acolytes -- what you write here is irrelevant because for them capital is *the* subject. I'm also sympathetic to this in some ways -- mostly because of the refusal to insist on proletarianization -- but not with their bracketing of struggle and social exigencies, that is, of everything that doesn't produce Value. It seems like laboratory Marxism to me.

> I wrote about my interpretation of Marx's views on "productive labor" here:

I need to read it again, but on first read, I like it.