[lbo-talk] Pollin-Wonder: the press release

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 14 05:39:52 PDT 2010

[via Bob Pollin]

For Immediate Release May 10, 2010

----DRAFT-----

POLLIN FAMILY TO HONOR VERIZON CENTER EMPLOYEES AND GROUPS OF DC WORKING FAMILIES WITH FREE STEVIE WONDER CONCERT MAY 26

A Free and Private Celebration for Employees and Family Members from Washington Sports and Entertainment and Local Civic and Service Organizations

Featuring the Legendary Stevie Wonder

Washington, D.C. – Irene, Robert and Jim Pollin, the wife and sons of the late Abe Pollin, will honor the employees of their company, Washington Sports and Entertainment, and those of several civic and public service organizations with a free concert event featuring legendary entertainer Stevie Wonder on Wednesday, May 26 at Verizon Center.

Among the groups the Pollin family is honoring are the DC Public Schools teachers and staff, the DC fire and police department staffs, and the employees at George Washington and Sibley Hospitals, where Mr. Pollin had been treated before his passing last November.

Robert Pollin said, “Abe Pollin deeply appreciated and respected all the people who make the Verizon Center and our broader DC community thrive. This concert is a way for our family to convey as emphatically and joyfully as possible these same feelings of appreciation and respect. We couldn’t be more fortunate than to have the great Stevie Wonder leading this celebration of our community.”

Abe and Irene Pollin have been the longest tenured owners of an NBA franchise, having bought the then Baltimore Bullets in 1964. The family will be transferring ownership of Washington Sports and Entertainment (Verizon Center, the Washington Wizards basketball franchise and the Washington-Baltimore Ticketmaster franchise) to Ted Leonsis and his partners in Lincoln Holdings in the near future.

The private and free event is open to employees and family members from the following list of civic organizations: Capital Area Food Bank, DC Department of Public Works, DC Fire Department, DC Metropolitan Police Department, DC Public School teachers and staff, George Washington Hospital, Jubilee Jobs, Metro, Sibley Hospital, The Perry School, and Thrive DC. The human resources departments of each organization will receive information on how their employees will receive tickets to the private and free concert event.