[lbo-talk] why Prince is right

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 08:49:50 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 6:05 AM, Angelus Novus <fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com> wrote:

> PD are basically trying to construct a political tendency out of what is
> basically a work of Marx philology.  I honestly don't think value-form
> theory lends itself to programmatic intentions. It's basically just a means
> of clarifying Marx's work.

Yeah, after I sent that email, I thought of bunch of ways you differ from PD. I like PD's destructive impulse: their anti-party (particularly SWP) rants, their skepticism of situationism, overall their "permanently grouchy" criticisms. But their constructive project is pretty limited, when it's not problematic.

> A lot of this just strikes me as an attempt to try to justify social
> struggles by slotting them into a productivist framework.  Martin
> Glaberman correctly criticized this as the false notion that social
> struggles have to be "proletarian" in order to be supportable.

I like this. It's like the economic version of recognition.