[lbo-talk] The New Republic 1931

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 21:11:43 PDT 2010

[I wanted to see what liberals were saying at a moment in the Depression somewhat analogous (not equivalent) to the current moment. The link is to a January 1931 essay by George Soule, the editor of the New Republic, who along with his magazine more or less embodied the left-liberal political intellectual of the time. A few years later he would be a leading example of the Popular Front liberal. Below is the note to the reader printed above the essay.....Remember, it's still the New Republic, so turn off your kiddie-porn filters.]

http://www.logiciansinbedlam.com/soule 1931.pdf