[lbo-talk] Why Marx is Right and Engels is Wrong

Joshua Morey amvojo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 00:56:16 PDT 2010

If I may offer a take on this...

I am a lurker. I read the stuff posted here while I post very little. I am new as a member of the LBO list but I have visited the archives a few times in the past - i find the discussions here incredibly thought provoking and challenging.

Which brings me to my point...

The exchangve between angelus and julio is a prime example of the very reason I was excited to join this group - I feel smarter having read it; however, the name calling confuses me. Mind you, I do not prefer holding hands, singing kumbaya, and then sharing a group hug - the argumentation is precisely what makes these discussions so important and edifying. But I think we need to recognize a common purpose, that at the end of the day, to paraphrase ep thompson, we don't need to worry about who is on marx's side because he is on ours, and that "side" demands rigorous study, theorization, and work, none of which is possible in isolation. In other words, I need to read (and engage) these disagreements (and I bet many others feel similarly), they are important to my development, and while I don't care if people are polite, insults and personal jabs are politically reckless, at best discouraging and at worst counterproductive to the struggle that many of us share. I don't mean to sound like a prude, but seriously - when we bullshit each other who do you think laughs the hardest?

-joshua

"But for this dialectical complementarity #between theory and practice# to emerge, a proper organization is needed, one which struggles continuously to give all its members the opportunity to engage in practical activity and to reflect on, i.e. to theorize, it (Carchedi 1987; 23)."