[lbo-talk] The New Republic 1931

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Jul 15 05:58:26 PDT 2010

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010, Michael Pollak wrote:

>> http://www.logiciansinbedlam.com/soule 1931.pdf
>
> I see what you mean. This certainly sums up briskly the distance
> between then and now. Soule speaks of Hoover [who was president in 1931
> in the depths of the depression when Soule was writing this] exactly as
> an equivalently important progressive magazine today *could* speak about
> Obama. But it would be inconceivable that they would.

I should point out however that this is exactly the way the left speaks about Obama. In fact speaking like this is part of what defines you as being on the left.

So the real difference seems to be: back then, the left so defined controlled some major media outlets. And now they don't. Middle-of-the- road liberalism is as far left as the MSM now goes. But once upon a time, the MSM extended farther to the left.

Michael