[lbo-talk] Marx's Method, Relevance for his Value Theory

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 14:23:55 PDT 2010

Angelus Novus

Right, back to the issue at hand. Some passages from the Grundrisse and Vol. III of Capital that I think prove conclusively that:

- The value-form analysis in Vol. I chapter one is not a historical account of the emergence of money, but a logical analysis of the commodity in capitalist society;

^^^^^^^ CB: So, quote some passages from the value-form analysis of Vol.I chapter one to support this claim. I have quoted a number of passages from there that make historical references. Marx refers to pre-capitalist historical periods. You have said nothing to argue against their contradicting your claim here.

^^^^^

- Value as socially necessary abstract labour time is only meaningful with reference to capitalist society mediated by money. There is no such thing as pre-monetary "value".

^^^^^^^ CB: So, your position is that there was no pre-monetary, pre-capitalist production of commodities ?

Are you saying that all production before capitalism was production for use and none of it was production for exchange ? Or are you saying there was never historically existing barter , that all early exchange was mediated by money ?