[lbo-talk] why are white southerners so violent?

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Jul 17 01:10:28 PDT 2010

BTW, if anyone wants a really good laugh at both borderers and at us all as their inheritors, I highly recommend the rock musical Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson. It's described as an "emo" opera, but it's important to note this is the early emo which was a kind of punk.

Besides being a hilarious set of semi-surreal SNL-type skits about Jackson, the rock and roll gets across how much this meaning of populism -- populism as the resentment of the borderers against the hoity-toity and effete and unjustly-superior-acting -- is the soul of rock and roll culture. Faux revolt is the soul of rock and roll -- including most especially punk, mon favorite, which is in this sense its essence. It's really fun to act it out and feel for the moment like a victorious warrior berserker lording over a crowd. Which is why it continues to live. Much of modern populist conservatism is simply this strand come back to politics. They stole our favorite stuff.

Which IMHO made for a deeply satisfing joke on myself as well as Jackson. I laughed a lot. And when I enjoyed the rock and roll songs, I laughed within.

Michael