[lbo-talk] Lowenthal_2

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 18:27:49 PDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Chuck Grimes <c123grimes at att.net> wrote:
> I can't resit this stuff:
>
> "If Teddie one day makes a real declaration of love and gives up his
> perfectly sinful bachelor status . . . for the equally hypocritical state of
> marriage, his declaration of love will undoubtedly take such a difficult
> form that the young lady in question will have to have read the whole of
> Kierkegaard . . . to understand Teddie at all; otherwise she will surely
> misunderstand him and reject him...'' From another Frankfurter, Kracauer.
> Teddie is Adorno, and for me his Negative Dialectics was like reading
> Heidegger backward.

I like Lukacs' quote (chapter 7): "A considerable part of the leading German intelligentsia, including Adorno, have taken up residence in the "Grand Hotel Abyss," which I described in connection with my critique of Schopenhauer as "a beautiful hotel, equipped with every comfort, on the edge of an abyss, of nothingness, of absurdity. And the daily contemplation of the abyss, between excellent meals or artistic entertainments, can only heighten the enjoyment of the subtle comforts offered."

Book me a room!

Mike Beggs