[lbo-talk] why are white southerners so violent?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 11:39:27 PDT 2010

I don't remember if the figures Gladwell cited went quite down to the county level, but otherwise, yes. In addition to specific crimes, he also wrote about psychological tests confirming the prickliness of Southerners, which impresses me considerably more; crime rates can be caused by anything, and causation is notoriously hard to prove.

So you've seen research broken down to the county level, with data on ethnic