[lbo-talk] why are white southerners so violent?

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sun Jul 18 12:31:07 PDT 2010

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:52:03 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Well, among other things, her research shows that killing of
> acquaintances really stand out in the Scots-Irish areas; killings of
> strangers and other forms of crime aren't out of line.

Having grown up in one of these "areas", I might mention that *everybody* is an "acquaintance". There are no strangers to kill. In fact there are no non-relatives to kill. If you kill somebody, he's gonna be a third cousin twice removed. At best.

This is the sort of thing it's hard to "adjust" for, statistically, if you have no actual personal knowledge of the world you're trying to explain.

The 1790 Census, forsooth! One doesn't know whether to laugh or cry.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com http://cars-suck.org

"Everyone has his favorite passage from the Theodosian Code." -- M I Finley