[lbo-talk] Test Case: Reading Selection [Fwd: [SIXTIES-L] J. D. Salinger - With Love And Squalor,For Esmé]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jul 18 13:02:05 PDT 2010

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [SIXTIES-L] J. D. Salinger - With Love And Squalor,For Esmé

Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 12:41:28 -0700 From: the moderator <resist at comcast.net> Reply-To: SIXTIES-L at topica.com To: Recipient at ilstu.edu, list at ilstu.edu, suppressed: ;

J. D. Salinger - With Love And Squalor, For Esmé

http://www.countercurrents.org/smith140710.htm

By Katherine Smith, Ph.D 14 July, 2010

This essay will explore the relationship of America's most famous recluse to The CIA, George H.W. Bush and the MK-Ultra mind control program.

In his celebrated story For Esmé ­ With Love and Squalor, Salinger, trying to get a grip on life, most probably is talking about himself when he starts a correspondence with a thirteen-year-old British girl in 1948. A Perfect Day for Bananafish is another story about his struggle with suicid

=======

This looks interesting, for a number or reasons. It would probably be fun to read even. I'm not going to read it, however; by the time I finished it my eyes would be too tired tor ead anything else today, and there are some things I seriously need to read.

Does Katherine Smith, Ph.D, have a complaint? I don't think so. For reasons given in my previous post. It simply doesn't make sense to say that anyone must read such and such. Too many factors enter into each individual's allocation of time and endergy. And one cannot forbid a topic to anyone, regardless of what they have or have not read on that topic. That's not how the intellectual world operates in practice or how it conceivably could operate.

Carrol