[lbo-talk] On reality and thought

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Jul 18 19:21:23 PDT 2010

On Jul 18, 2010, at 8:51 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>>> "It is not enough for thought to strive for realization, reality
>>> must itself strive towards thought."
>>>
>>> http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1843/critique-hpr/intro.htm
>>
>> If I were Harold Bloom, I might say this sounds like Marx had read
>> too much Adorno.
>
> It's simpler than that. This is Marx sounding like Hegel, during
> his young Hegelian phase.

In 1843 Marx had already broken with the "Young Hegelians" (the brothers Bauer & co.). True, in 1843 he was young and a Hegelian. Later he ceased to be young but, as Lenin ("Philosophical Notebooks") recognized, he remained a Hegelian. That "phase" lasted all his life.

Shane Mage

This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it

always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire,

kindling in measures and going out in measures."

Herakleitos of Ephesos