[lbo-talk] why are white southerners so violent?

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 12:50:37 PDT 2010

I've now read it, and not surprisingly given my previous comment I'm with Michael, this is silly. An "economic" foundation 150 or more years ago - not reinforced by economics since that time - for a culture of honor/violence that generates higher murder rates (but not other crimes and murder rates which are a proxy for defending one's family/personal honor) in the present.

There's at least one other very reasonable explanation... and its not associated with the "weak state" argument of the herding culture of honor silliness. I TA'd in a Sociology of Violence, War and Peace class in grad school and the most memorable aspect of the class was the strong, cross-national statistical correlation between death penalty states/countries and murder rates... if the government is violent the people tend to be too...

Now, sure, there may be correlation/causation issues here, too, but jeez, we're really expected to accept that there is a 150 year culturally causal relationship between contemporary murder rates and a precapitalist herding culture, before emigration, the proxy for which is hog and sheep populations in the early 19th C? Anybody heard of herding pigs or is that just the disaggregated census category (from the early 19th C!)? Anybody know of open, extensive terrain like the highlands in the South? Anyone know of another cultural group that's reliably treated as effectively homogeneous and stable from 1860 to 2010?