[lbo-talk] on the transformation problem

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Tue Jul 20 10:49:27 PDT 2010

John Gulick wrote:
> ... I decided that one is
> far better off using value theory as a heuristic device for analyzing the accumulation process, the
> class struggle, etcetera, and nothing more.

But John, saying 'nothing more' is conceding enormous ground. If you are serious about value as the core factor in 'the accumulation process', then that takes you onto all manner of political, economic, social, cultural and environmental terrains, does it not? As I understand the term, a 'heuristic device' is 'shorthand'; but value theory offers a deep-rooted explanation of the laws of motion of capitalism. 'Nothing more.' ?