[lbo-talk] Palestine Think Tank: Jeff Blankfort - Chomsky and Palestine: Asset or Liability?

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 11:25:19 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Joel Schalit <jschalit at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why stir up resentment against American Jewish progressives, particularly
> now, within the greater US left? It's irrational and counterproductive.

I agree that Blankfort's article is pretty ridiculous, and maybe even racist, but your plea to just get along is a pretty problematic response (at least in the abbreviated form it's presented here). Why shouldn't all progressives be criticized if they start to act stupidly? Examples: Fayad is almost universally loathed by Palestinians, but Chomsky not only has tea with him but praises his policies. Also, from what I can tell, Palestinians are overwhelmingly supportive of the BDS campaign, but he claims that it would harm them. If he has some information that indicates that Palestinians don't actually favor BDS, then it'd be nice to hear him present it, but so far he hasn't. Or he could argue against the sanctions on other grounds -- some of which I might agree with -- but he chooses to do so based on what he thinks is good for Palestinians. And he might be right, but Palestinians should at least be given the right to make their own mistakes.

So, at least two instances where he believes things that contradict Palestinian aspirations (again, from what I can tell; if anyone thinks my generalizations are mistaken, let me know, as I'd love to be proven wrong). Contra Blankfort, I'm not interested in drawing up a balance sheet on him or exiling him from "the movement," but that doesn't mean such views are above criticism, which is what I read you as suggesting here.