[lbo-talk] Value Theory of Labour

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 16:00:27 PDT 2010

Mike Beggs:

> I like how Diane Elson put it: it's a value theory of labour, not a
> labour theory of value.

Credit where its due: C.L.R. James used the phrase "value theory of labour" years before Diane Elson did, in a review he did of Edmund Wilson's _To the Finland Station_.

The review itself is available in the collection edited by Scott McLemee, _C.L.R. James and Revolutionary Marxism_.

Just two weeks ago I found about the Diane Elson essay at a friend's house and was pleasantly surprised to see the essay with that formulation in that CSE collection.

CSE did a lot of interesting stuff in the 1970s, publishing translations of Sohn-Rethel and the like.