[lbo-talk] Palestine Think Tank: Jeff Blankfort - Chomsky and Palestine: Asset or Liability?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 19:10:36 PDT 2010

I'm unsure if our difference here is genuinely political or simply semantic, but from where I stand, there's a significant difference between *calling for* a strategy and *supporting* it. Like many others, I spent a number of years supporting the Coalition of Imokalee Workers' boycott of Taco Bell, although it would have been the height of silliness for me to call for such a thing.

To answer SA's query from 5:33: "A right that Chomsky is denying to them by expressing his opinion?" Once the boycott was launched, I could not have opposed it in any meaningful way without putting myself outside and against both the strategy and the struggle itself. (If, like Chomsky, I had claimed to be doing so out of concern for the farmworkers' well-being, that would have made me a bit of a condescending prick to boot.)

As for your own query of 9:27, "How do we know what that consensus is? And how, actually, do we identify civil society in Palestine or anywhere else?" We can argue about the number of angels on the head of a pin all night. A more meaningful question is, are we in solidarity with the broad range of Palestinian organizations calling for a boycott or are we not?