[lbo-talk] 'Contracts prevent workers from going on strike' (USPS to cut Saturday service)

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 20:51:30 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:24 AM, <dredmond at efn.org> wrote:

> On Wed, July 21, 2010 4:14 pm, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>
> > Since when can a contract "prevent someone from going on strike"?
> > Is this the current state of workers rights in the US of A?
>
> Contract law aside, about a third of the US states have "Right to Work"
> laws which outlaw unions, but even in the other states, the labor laws are
> pathetically weak -- employers can and do fire union-sympathizing workers
> at the drop of a hat, unions are routinely busted, etc.

Amazing. Thanks to everyone who replied.

I´m happy to report that down here in .Ar the siuation is nowhere as restrictive. In fact, if someone is fired for striking, it´s an unlawful termination, and chances are the employer will get sued and LOSE.

It´s funny to re-read what was published by the late 1990s, the last gasps of the gloalization machine in Argentina before the 2001 economic implosion (and later rebound).

"Labor law reform has been a particularly tough nut to crack in Mexico and Argentina, where unions have strong government ties and huge percentages of unionized urban workers: 49% in Argentina and 54% in Mexico. In Argentina union contracts at both private and public sector companies are negotiated by industry and are automatically renewed if employers and unions can't arrange new agreements."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3715/is_199901/ai_n8843678/ FC