[lbo-talk] Theory -- *Scope and Limits Re: Chomsky on BDS, etc.

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 22 07:47:11 PDT 2010

We here have an issue which theory can't handle, and one of the more important theoretical questions is precisely the limit of theory. (This doesn't mean we have to stop thinking, as some seem to suppose.)

I think the necessity for anti-capitalist movements to support Palestinian statehood can be theoretically established. But I don't think theoretical discussion can have much to say about the tactics of that support. There is clearly a growing drive among supporters of Palestine to express their support in ongoing action, and that action needs to both be globally visible but implemented at a local level. Something that can make some sort of demo or forum or rally make some sense; that will provide material for a leaflet or a web site. That is the prime consideration here. (Incidentlly, Boycotts are always to begin with more important for the effects they have on their suportes, those urging them, than for any material impact on the object of the impact.

So the real question here does not concern the "logic" of boycotting Israel but not the main enemy; nor does it concern whether the boycott would have a material impact on Israel: it concrns, rather, what impact it will have on those attempting to organize it, and whether it will or will not aid them in expanding their ranks. I got pissed off at Josephe C because his obsessive/compulsive drive to scratch the Chomsky itch distracted from these questions. He's not thinking strategically but is getting lost in a moralistic bog. In fact, he began to seem far more interested in scoring points against Chomsky than in building matrerial support for the Palestinian cause.

Carerol