[lbo-talk] Are recessions better for the left or right?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jul 24 05:30:25 PDT 2010

Chip Berlet wrote:

> Sometimes a trope is just a trope...even from a dope like Yeats.

Could be. From another angle: there is a good deal in Yeats that whatever the "intention" was can be wrenched, even easily wrenched, to speak for quite different perspectives.

I've done it, for example, with "Their eyes, their ancient glittering eyes, are gay" and "Those who build them again are gay."

And just yesterday on the Henry James list I suggested that " any (ontological or social) truth to be fund in fiction has to be produced by the reader, not the author."

Carrol