[lbo-talk] Equal Justice Initiative: United States Considered Most Punitive Country in the World

Joshua Morey amvojo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 14:22:59 PDT 2010

I encountered a similar article recently and, just for fun, graphed the incarceration rates of the 35 countries listed in the article against their gini coefficients (imperfect, I know, but i had quick access to the #'s and, like i said, it was just for fun...). No surprises, nothing new, not strict science, but it returned a correlation coefficient of .628 (fairly strong) - if curious you can view the info and the graph in google docs by following the link below (sheet three).

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0At8GW9zr0UiLdFBxcDhCU19GTnFOZUZVUmNkSHZ2LXc&hl=en#gid=3

If nothing else, it warrants a closer, more disciplined look (which i'm sure has been done already, just haven't looked for it yet).

best wishes, Joshua

BTW the graph might not show up if viewed from a phone