[lbo-talk] The Ultimate Death Blow for Notre Dame Heterodoxy

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 16:59:22 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 8:31 AM, michael perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote:
> Notre Dame exiled its heterodox economists to a separate department. Now it
> is about to execute a death sentence for the department. Apparently,
> mainstream economists have offered such excellent guidance that questions
> about their dogma no longer serve any purpose.

I often recommend Duncan Foley's excellent career survival guide for radical economists:

http://homepage.newschool.edu/~foleyd/ideo.pdf

But on one point it seems tragically out of date (it's from 1989) - where he advises not to be modest about getting a sweet academic job:

"Don't be shy about getting a job because you have a good degree and a skill that commands rents in the market. Academic ideology in economics is policed effectively but loosely."

Mike Beggs