[lbo-talk] emerging CW: Gulf spill a "nothingburger"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jul 29 06:07:33 PDT 2010

GAME CHANGE -- TIME's Michael Grunwald, who's on the speed-dial of all enviro flacks, nevertheless writes from Port Fourchon, La., that Rush was right about the BP spill -- it's an environmental nothingburger: “[I]t does not seem to be inflicting severe environmental damage. 'The impacts have been much, much less than everyone feared,' says geochemist Jacqueline Michel, a federal contractor who is coordinating shoreline assessments in Louisiana. … Anti-oil politicians, anti-Obama politicians and underfunded green groups all have obvious incentives to accentuate the negative in the Gulf. So did the media, because disasters drive ratings and sell magazines; those oil-soaked pelicans you keep seeing on TV (and the cover of TIME) were a lot more compelling than the healthy pelicans I saw roosting on some protective boom in Bay Jimmy.” http://bit.ly/9jTDtA