[lbo-talk] emerging CW: Gulf spill a "nothingburger"

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 07:36:16 PDT 2010

Doug Henwood :

GAME CHANGE -- TIME's Michael Grunwald, who's on the speed-dial of all enviro flacks, nevertheless writes from Port Fourchon, La., that Rush was right about the BP spill -- it's an environmental nothingburger: (clip)

^^^^^ CB: Speaking of Rush anti-environmentalisms

Auto news | Ford | GM | Chrysler | Auto Shows Posted: 4:50 p.m. July 28, 2010 Limbaugh rips Chevy Volt but cites income from GM By Justin Hyde Free Press Washington Staff

http://www.freep.com/article/20100728/BUSINESS0101/100728042/1318/Limbaugh-rips-Chevy-Volt-but-cites-income-from-GM

WASHINGTON – Radio host Rush Limbaugh tore into General Motors today over the Chevrolet Volt, while revealing he had taken advertising money from GM last year during its rescue by the Obama administration.

In his popular show, Limbaugh criticized the Volt and the $41,000 price GM revealed on Tuesday, questioning why the U.S. government needed to add a $7,500 tax credit.

“Obama and the government are admitting nobody wants this,” Limbaugh said, repeatedly referring to GM as “Obama Motors.”

But Limbaugh also seemed somewhat confused about how the Volt worked, noting once that it had a gas engine and an electric motor, but suggesting its 40-mile electric-only range was its only power source.

“That 40-mile range has to include you getting home, and staying home three to four hours to charge the thing,” Limbaugh said.

After 40 miles, the Volt’s gasoline engine kicks in, giving it about 300 additional miles of range.

Limbaugh also said the Volt was the most expensive Chevrolet model outside the Corvette. But in fact the Suburban and Tahoe Hybrid models also cost more.

And the $7,500 tax credit will be available on the Nissan Leaf electric vehicle and other models that have large enough batteries to meet federal guidelines.

Limbaugh admitted that last year following the Obama administration’s rescues, he had taken advertising money from GM. His show’s archives include his promotions for a GM incentive to cover vehicle payments for people who lost their jobs after buying new vehicles.

But Limbaugh said he ended the arrangement even though GM wanted to continue.

"I turned it down because I could not honestly recommend--I knew this was coming--I’m not going to recommend people go buy an electric car,” Limbaugh said. “I wish them luck, don’t misunderstand here,” he added. “We turned down big money."

GM spokesman Greg Martin said Limbaugh was a long-standing critic. "He's entitled to his opinion and we appreciate his wishes for future success," he said.

Contact Justin Hyde at 202-906-8204 or jhyde at freepress.com

Comments (766) Recommend (3) Print E-mail Letter to the editor Share Facebook Twitter FarkIt Digg Del.icio.us Reddit Newsvine Buzz up!