[lbo-talk] Jobless Workers Look to Shift Elections

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 14:29:07 PDT 2010

Marv Gandall wrote:

> This unoriginal observation was not at issue in my discussion with SA. Our disagreement grew out of my comment that I did not see much protest around unemployment and foreclosures in the US today compared to the level of activity organized by the CP in the 30's. SA considered that I was exaggerating the role of the CP

I don't think I properly communicated my point. You're talking about "the 30's." But I was talking specifically about 1929-32. (That's why I said the CP's efforts didn't appear to amount to much "until around 1933.") My point was that if something significant were to end up coming out of today's "scattered actions," those actions will one day have great importance attached to them by future historians (and readers of history), even though nobody is paying much attention to them now while they're happening. That's why I pointed to how scattered/anomalous Communist actions seemed in 1929-32 (relative to what came later).

SA