[lbo-talk] Jobless Workers Look to Shift Elections

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 16:44:03 PDT 2010

Marv wrote:

> There is a close, though not algebraic, correlation between
> working class militancy and whether labour is in short supply
> or in surplus in an expanding or contracting economy.

In these times, I'd rather emphasize the "not algebraic" (or -- said a bit differently -- nondeterministic) relation between workers' militancy and the economic conditions. This is from the Caracas Manifesto issued by the III ESNA (the Third Trade-Union Encounter of Our America):

> La crisis es una oportunidad para el capital, para seguir
> flexibilizando y deteriorando el poder de los trabajadores y sus
> organizaciones. Sin embargo, pese a la iniciativa de la burguesía
> y su Estado, en este Manifiesto del IIIº ESNA sostenemos que
> la crisis es también una oportunidad para nosotros, para los
> explotados, para los pueblos, para constituirnos como sujetos
> conscientes de la lucha contra el régimen del capital.

http://www.chavez.org.ve/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/MANIFIESTO-DE-CARACAS.pdf

"The crisis is an opportunity for capital to continue to "flexibilize" and deteriorate the workers' power and their organizations. However, in spite of the initiative taken by the bourgeoisie and its state, in this Manifesto of the Third ESNA, we hold that the crisis is also an opportunity for us, the exploited, the peoples, to constitute ourselves as the conscious subjects of the struggle against the regime of capital."

I think it's very well said.

I'm also looking forward to your report on the cross-continental trip, Marv. :-)