[lbo-talk] A view from Europe...

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 11:17:36 PDT 2010

The Irish Parliament has just finished a debate on the Israeli attack. It wasn't really much of a debate, in the sense of any real difference of opinion being expressed. The handful of Israel supporters in the parliament were nowhere to be found and a fairly strong motion of condemnation, tabled in the name of the Minister for Foreign Affairs, was passed without any dissent. I say "fairly" strong because it stopped short of doing what we would have liked it to do i.e. announce the cutting of all diplomatic ties with Israel and calling for them to be fucked out of the OECD and for an end to their preferential trade agreement with the EU, but I'm sure it's stronger than anything you'd get more than a small minority of the US Congress to sign up to. (Text copied below FWIW)

The public reaction here has been absolutely furious, which of course is partially due to the presence of several well-known Irish activists on the flotilla - though I think if there weren't any Irish on it the difference would be one of degree rather than substance. A few thousand turned up on short notice for the protest last night and the story has dominated the news in a way I've rarely seen for "foreign" stories. Not surprisingly the government chose yesterday to announce they're giving another €2 billion of public funds to our leading zombie bank.

Anyway here's the motion that was passed today. Remains to be seen whether the "further diplomatic actions" are taken, personally I'm not holding my breath...

“That Dáil Éireann, gravely concerned at the events which took place on 31st May, 2010 following the storming in international waters of the Turkish vessel the Mavi Marmara by Israeli forces which resulted in at least nine deaths and a large number of injured: — deplores the loss of life which occurred when the Free Gaza flotilla was intercepted at sea by Israeli military forces on 31st May; — expresses its condolences to the families of those who have been killed, and hopes for a speedy recovery by all those injured; — condemns the use of military force in this way as unacceptable and inconsistent with the requirements of international law; — calls for a full, independent and international enquiry into these events; — calls for the immediate and unconditional release of all the Irish citizens detained by Israel in this operation, and for immediate consular access to those in custody; — calls upon the Israeli authorities to allow the Irish owned vessel the MV Rachel Corrie to continue unhindered its voyage to Gaza, and allow it to deliver its humanitarian cargo there; — notes the Government’s intention to take further diplomatic actions if such calls are ignored; and — supports the consistent demand of the Government for an end to the illegal Israeli blockade of Gaza, which has led directly to these tragic events.” —An tAire Gnóthaí Eachtracha.