[lbo-talk] U.S. in Israel's corner

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Jun 1 15:00:30 PDT 2010

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 17:21:13 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> the Gazans haven't exactly cracked. Credit
> > where it's due, eh?
>
> How do you measure that? They're still breathing, yeah, but what a
> life.

What a life indeed. But they're still fighting back. I guess that's my criterion.

It's interesting that Israel felt it was necessary to pull this disastrous stunt. Does that tell us anything? If they really thought the situation was under control -- then what's the downside of letting some humanitarians in to deliver baby formula, or whatever?

Not making an argument, just thinking out loud. What exactly would have been problematic for them in letting the convoy through, with suitably humanitarian mood music in the background? Is it that they simply have to control the horizontal and the vertical all the time -- they're the only actors allowed in the Promised Land?

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com

"I am in favor of leaving people alone, no matter how imperfect their polity may seem." -- Stephen Maturin, MD