[lbo-talk] Alex Saxton on Terry Eagleton

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 11:02:47 PDT 2010

I like this a good bit, though I think it finds anti-scientism in Eagleton that I don't. Furthermore, the particular brand of historical materialist critique of religion Saxton advances would seem to suggest that not only religion, but philosophy and the humanities more generally have little to say. I couldn't quite tell if the distaste for Eagleton comes more from Saxton's affection for science and his distaste for the humanities or from a legitimate exploration of the rhetorical strategies and imprecise arguments Eagleton makes. I really liked the argument about an emergent conservative shift from an ecumenical to a synchretist foundation, though I'm pretty sure that the argument's overstated in an effort to tar Eagleton with his association with Templeton, etc... In any event, well worth a read, thanks Jim. A